Saturday, July 10, 2010

Thing #12

There were many interesting and important comments about blogging. I would like to have my students blog concerning books they are reading, so I especially took note of the comments on student blogging regarding etiquitte. This is especially important for middle schoolers. Also, I think the use of an alias or nickname is important for students.

Blogging, in general, can be useful if one has something relevant to add to a discussion and finds other responses useful or informative. In reading various blogs, it seems that some bloggers like to be heard more than they like to hear. I would definitely stay away from them.

I replied to two very interesting blogs. The first was by Roger Ebert discussing his 50th high school reunion. Since my own H.S. reunion is approaching in October, I related to many of the examples of how his classmates have stayed the same and how his community has changed. The other was a review by Marti Schwartz of a book, Teaching Grammar (do I have to?), by John Norton. It was an excellent review with many examples of practical and useful ways to teach grammar without the dreaded fill-in-the-blank worksheets. I would like to read the book.

I have commented on Ms. T's U.S. History Story, Thing 12 on blogging. Time for blogging presents the biggest challenge to me personally at this time.

Now that I have finished all 23 Things, I have had gone back and commented to four other blogs, Whirled World, RKnapp, Melanie's Things, and Camille M. I seem to have an issue with the Camille M. posting, and will return to it later to see if it has been posted. A message appeared that my comment would be posted when it was approved.

No comments:

Post a Comment